The nurse led clinic provides an integrated stoma care service for patients who have a stoma or about to undergo surgery for a formation of a stoma.
The service is for patients registered with a GP in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames.
The service provides four main activities for patients:
Information and advice for patient show have a stoma or who may be about to undergo stoma forming surgery
Treatment and management of stoma related complications
Psychological support and assessment on requirement for referral
Telephone advice, education and support for the local community and healthcare/social care services.
The Community Stoma Care service provides information and advice to those living with a stoma that is aimed at improving the quality of stoma care management and quality of life by providing:
- Information and advice before surgery
- Home visits to provide support and advice following discharge from hospital
- Regular follow up during the first year following surgery
- Treatment and Management of problematic stomas
- Advice on stoma management
- Assessment of parastomal hernias and belt fitting
- Psychological support
- Information on lifestyle, diet and skin care
- Information and teaching of colostomy irrigation
- Information and advice for patients with ileo anal pouches
- Assessment and management of patients with abdominal fistulas
- Annual reviews
- Updates on new products
The Stoma Care Service works in close partnership with colorectal, urological, gynaecological consultant and continence nurse specialists - as well as school nurses.